Local Yokel Media Joins The NNA in Texas
by: Elizabeth Harrington, on Oct 10, 2014 in Market Musings
A few of us on the Local Yokel Media Publisher Services team took it to the road — well to the air and the road — to attend the National Newspaper Association’s 128th Annual Convention and Trade Show in San Antonio, Texas. We went to meet the newspaper publishers who run some of our country’s oldest and most trusted community newspapers.
The event kicked off with a fun evening at the Grand Hyatt where the NNA hosted a welcome reception for all attending, including publishers and over 35 exhibitors and sponsors. Exhibitors ranged from CMS solutions such as TownNews and eType Services to publishing software specialists NEWSCYCLE Solutions and of course, Local Yokel Media! We may be partial, but attendees liked LYM booth treats the best!
Throughout the event, there were productive breakout sessions, idea exchanges, and presentations geared to the evolving success of community news. One of the highlights for our team was attending the Opening Breakfast and Flag Ceremony. Attendees were captivated by the incredible story of survival told by Honorable Brian Birdwell, Texas State Senate. Lt. Col. (Retired) Brian Birdwell is a survivor of the terrorists’ attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. After hijacked American Airlines Flight 77 crashed into the Pentagon, Birdwell was thrown to the ground and engulfed in flames. He shared his remarkable story in such detail that one cannot believe he survived to tell his tale. His recovery has been truly remarkable, and spiritually, he is stronger than ever before.
Following the senators keynote presentation, the NNA announced the winners of their Newspaper and Education Awards as well as the Amos, McKinney and Phillips Awards.
Because of the incredible work and talent that goes into winning journalism, we thought you might like to see “who won what” in some of the categories we follow at LYM…
Local Yokel Media Publisher Partner winners:
Cape Gazette, Lewes, Delaware
- Second Place for Best Sports Story, Daily & Non-daily Division, circ. Less than 9,000
The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
- First Place, Best Breaking News Story, Non-daily Division, circ. 12,000 or more
- Second Place, Best Photo Essay, Daily & Non-daily Division, circ. 12,000 or more
- Second Place, Best Serious Column, Daily & Non-daily Division, circ. 12,000 or more
- Second Place, Best Sports Story, Daily & Non-daily Division, circ. 12,000 or more
- Third Place, Best Editorial, Daily & Non-daily Division, circ. 12,000 or more
- Honorable Mention, Best Newspaper Web Site, Daily & Non-daily Division, circ. 12,000 or more
Westmore News, Port Chester, New York
- First Place, Best Education/Literacy Story, Non-daily Division, Circ. Less than 6,000
- Third Place, Best Photo Essay, Daily & Non-daily Division, circ 3,000-5,999
Best Newspaper Web Site, Daily & Non-daily Division – Overall winners:
- Second Place: Santa Clarita Valley Signal, Santa Clarita, California
- Third Place (tie): News-Register, McMinnville, Oregon
- Honorable Mention: The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
- Honorable Mention: Vineyard Gazette, Edgartown, Massachusetts
- Honorable Mention: The Pilot, Southern Pines, North Carolina
- Honorable Mention: The St. Louis American, Saint Louis, Missouri
For a complete list of the NNA 2014 Contest Winners, visit the NNA website and select the categories of interest. It’s a comprehensive list and all the winners deserve applause and recognition. Without a doubt, local news is very alive in the communities across the USA and Local Yokel Media salutes their great work.